Friday, September 28, 2012

Spinach Pie!

Tonight, I was left between a rock and a hard place over this one. I love quiche. With capitals: L-O-V-E. Earlier this week, my Aunt and I went through the entire week and sort of pre-planned for meals. Our goal was to eat in more, eat out less, save money, and save trips to the store (by making one large list and doing it once for the week). When Wednesday came, I knew it was spinach quiche night. However, I never once expected to be making it myself- all by myself. My Aunt had a few meetings at church she needed to attend and left me in charge of the kitchen. Again..

How to Cook Everything The Basics: All You Need to Make Great Food by Mark Bittman (Google Affiliate Ad)
The recipe is one out of "Tidewater on the Half Shell: Fine Virginia Recipes" ©1985, Junior League of Norfolk-Virginia Beach, Irc. Norfolk, Virginia (just to be safe). On page 78 under Eggs, Cheese and Pasta you can find Spinach Pie and Spinach Quiche. I couldn't tell you the literal difference, but as we didn't purchase or prepare a crust (due to non-gluten preferences), tonight I made the pie!

Ingredients: 
10-ounce package frozen chopped spinach, cooked
1-pound Ricotta cheese
1 cup grated Cheddar cheese
1 Tbsp. oil
1 tsp. garlic salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1 egg, beaten with fork
1 tbsp. butter, cut into pieces

Instructions: 
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Drain and squeeze as much water out of spinach as possibile.
Combine all ingredients except butter. Mix well.
Place mixture in a 9-inch pie plate. Top with butter.
Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.

________________________________
Began thawing the spinach.
Prepared the mix-ins: Cheddar cheese, Ricotta cheese, onion, and egg.
Mixed ingredients together.
I did not include oil salt or pepper. The oil, I found not necessary; the salt and pepper I feel can be added as needed per the need of the person eating it.
Place in oven for the time being.







Final Product:
















Until next time!
Sarah Marsh




No comments:

Post a Comment