Thursday, September 27, 2012

Romanian Stuffed Peppers!

TO BE STUFFED
I Googled a few different recipes until the picture and description reminded me precisely of what I think I had at my cousin's in Belgium last month. This site is the closest I could find! Below I've copied and paste the suggested recipe. Below the line under it, I included my instructions of how I put mine together. Please keep in mind I am NOT anywhere near an amateur cook and should probably not have considered this choice has my first goal meal! Let's hope my Aunt and Uncle enjoy it!

Romanian Stuffed Peppers
Ingredients:
6 medium bell peppers -green or red. Pick bell peppers with a nice bell shape.
1.5 lbs ground meat, usually beef (I used 1 lb 90% ground beef, 0.25 lb 85% ground beef and 0.25 ground pork)
1/2 cup Arborio rice
1 medium yellow onion chopped
3/4 cup fresh chopped dill
15 oz can tomato sauce 
Salt and freshly ground pepper to your liking
Flour to top the peppers
Method:
Wash the bell peppers. Cut around the stem of the bell pepper and remove all the seeds. You may want to blanch the peppers for a few minutes before stuffing them.
Mix together the meat, rice, onion, dill, salt and pepper. Add 2 tablespoons tomato sauce to the mix and 5 tablespoons of water. Mix well with your hands.
Stuff the peppers with the mixture but don't stuff them too tightly. 
Top the stuffed peppers with about 1 tablespoon of flour to prevent the mix from escaping the peppers
Add the peppers to the pot. Add the tomato sauce and water until the stuffed peppers are almost covered. Boil on medium to medium high heat until cooked, about 1 hour.

Serve with bread and sour cream. Yummy! Enjoy! :)
___________________________________
Cut open the peppers- I did not blanch them.
Cook the rice.
Cook the meat, as it is browning, prepare ingredients 
-chop up onions, garlic, dill 
-get ready for salt and pepper, water, and tomato juice 
Once the meat is brown, add in the rice. Then add other spices as needed. 
Wait for the combination of the mixture to cool, prepare peppers in a large pot. 
Fill peppers with 'stuffing supplies' and place carefully into the pot. Surround the peppers with water and canned tomatos until near the top of the peppers! 
I did a low heat for a while because my timing for my Aunt and Uncle were off, yet I don't want to over coo them! So exciting!! The house has smelled incredibly delicious all afternoon! 


                                       Final Product: 

I'd be happy to hear of suggestions for beginner cooks! Meals, packed lunches, etc. I'm open to all! 

Until next time..  spinach pie (just like quiche, only no crust and with small changes)
Sarah Marsh

No comments:

Post a Comment