Thursday, September 13, 2012

Minnesota.. not once, but twice!

I have spent majority of the last two weekends in Minneapolis! The first weekend was Labor Day weekend. I drove with my parents the five and a half hours to Minneapolis on Friday afternoon. Weekend events included meeting my brother's (Andrew) girl friend's (Mary Elizabeth) Dad who was visiting from North Carolina, Minnesota State Fair, and family time with my Aunt and Uncle.

Char-Broil Tabletop Gas Grill (Google Affiliate Ad)
When we got in to my Aunt and Uncle's house Friday night, we caught up with them over some drinks and then hit the hay. It's so surprising how exhausted you get driving! Saturday morning we woke up to have homemade granola and for me to go through pictures for my Aunt and Uncle of my summer in Europe. By noon we were heading to the Minnesota State Fair!

PIGLETS!!
ANDREW AND THE PUMPKIN

At the fair we didn't get to experience ALL 70 items on a stick, but we did get ice cream and corn dogs, not to mention the cheese curds and honey. We also toured through the arts & crafts building and the fine arts exhibits. The beginning of our state fair experience included the barn yard and newly born animals!! 


ANDREW AND ME ON THE SKY GLIDER
MOM AND DAD ON THE
SKY GLIDER
After riding the Sky Glider the rest of our group went to look at the Butterfly House while I met up with Adrian, one of the guys who came to London with our internship group this summer. I met up with Adrian, his mom and his niece and nephew.


When leaving the fair, we picked out a place to eat in Uptown and headed there to meet up with my friend Jenni. Jenni joined us for dinner at Muddy Waters, and then she and I went out and met up with our friend Kate for  drinks at The Bulldog. It was so much fun to catch up with each other and share some drinks and (more) cheese curds!

On Sunday we went out to Victor's 1959 Cafe for brunch with Mary Elizabeth and her dad while Andrew was at work. I had the world's best breakfast.. banana pancakes with walnuts and mango spread on top. Yummmmmmy. Hands down, best pancakes I've ever had. We stopped for ice cream at Sebastian Joe's and then The Running Room to see Andrew! After seeing Andrew, my parents and I headed out for the five and a half hour drive home!!

Lo and behold, I returned to Minneapolis the following Thursday. It was super short notice, but for all the great reasons! I had an interview with a music organization in down town Minneapolis. I found out late Thursday morning and I immediately picked up a train ticket for the 5:05pm Amtrak train out of Columbus! When I got back into town, Andrew picked me up from the train station and we headed to Pat's Tap to see a friend of their's DJ for the night.

On Friday, Mary Elizabeth still needed to work, Andrew and I ran errands and stopped by the office to see where I was going to be interviewing in the afternoon. Then we met up with my friend Jenni for lunch at Brit's Pub. After a delicious reminder of everything I loved about my summer in London, I headed out for my interview!! I'm thinking it went well, and perhaps I'll have more news to share of adventures in life, but for now, I'll just leave my killing anticipation and excitement out of this! When I met back with Andrew we headed back to his place for some down time. When it was time for us to pick up Mary Elizabeth, we also headed out to our Aunt and Uncle's house to pick up my straightener I left behind the previous weekend.

When we headed back to the apartment, we had some much needed down time including catching up on the ends of TV series seasons I missed in the spring and early summer due to leaving school and going abroad. Various series including 'New Girl' and 'Once Upon A Time' but also learning about 'Downton Abbey'.. which, to be frank, I am not sure how I missed the boat on that one. Does anyone I know have the first season so I can learn more about what I have missed?? Our night turned into a late evening with the cast of 'Downton Abbey', we shared some wine and Andrew took some pork and potatoes to town for dinner-- hands down some of the best cooked pork I have had since returning from Europe. A friend of mine from school, Charlie, also came over to join us for the show and some drinks. So good to catch up.

Saturday morning 7:50am train came much earlier than I had hoped. The five hour and twenty minute train ride proved that air conditioning in the world was not dead-- I practically froze to death. If you're taking the Amtrak. Be sure to wear long sleeves and pants. Preferably socks and shoes. Do not do as I did: jean shorts, short-sleeve top and Birkenstock sandals. By the time I stepped off the platform to meet my mom in Columbus, WI, I think I had grown an inch of hair on my legs from all the goosebumps I had!

Only time will tell from here! I hope to share more news accordingly!
Cheers!
Sarah Marsh

No comments:

Post a Comment