Monday, September 24, 2012

Continuing Life's Adventures

This week has proven to be an adventure in more ways than one! I began my week at work with a paperwork meeting to finalize information, employee handbook, and all other official documents needed to confirm employment. I met the other two recent hires and we enjoyed getting to know one another briefly. On Thursday and Friday, I had training shifts for some of the day where I learned majority of the ins and outs of my job as ticket sales representative. I cannot wait to put my new knowledge to work!

Cooking With Calphalon 12-Pc. Hard-Anodized Cookware Set (Google Affiliate Ad)
Among the obvious new changes is life: moving states, buying a car, starting a job, living with my Aunt and Uncle, etc. There is one you might not recognize upfront. You see, I have had the privilege of  provided housing AND meal plans for the jobs I worked at the University of Wisconsin Stevens Point for the last three and a half years. Also, for majority of that time, the kitchens in our buildings were converted to living spaces for students, meaning I did not have accurate access to a kitchen- let alone a need to cook for the last three and a half years. What does this mean now? I cannot cook. This is not an exaggeration. Last January I tried to cook Ramen Noodles for a few friends (we were each in charge of various cooking tasks, the noodles were mine), and I legitimately RUINED them. Truth. I have multiple witnesses.. unfortunately. Cooking will prove to be the largest challenge, I think. So I have set some small goals for myself over the next few months to better improve my -lack of a- skill! First? On one of my days off this week, I will be preparing Romanian Stuffed Peppers. I found the recipe online, I'm hoping they turn out like my cousin's did when I was staying in Belgium about a month ago. Think I'm crazy? You're probably right. But this is something I need to do!!

Another thing about work-- I found on Thursday that I work in the utmost PERFECT location possible. Out the window from our office space, I can see this picture. It is a building-long mural of classical sheet music. This only further shows me that this is what I am supposed to be doing. I'm in love with my new job and location. To be equally honest, I am terrified of the enclosing tundra and freezing temperatures that come with living in Minneapolis. Cross your fingers. Hopefully I'll make it through this winter!!

I have set other goals for myself that I should share! A few weeks ago, I decided to begin small training for a 5k. My plan is to be able to run one on OR before Thanksgiving (November 22, for those of you who do not celebrate the holiday of American Thanksgiving). I started this with small expectations considering I hardly ever run (similar to cooking, this is not my strong point)- and have never run on purpose without being told by a gym teacher or coach. As you can see this should prove to be quite the task for me! I'm beginning with the iPod Touch Application called Couch25K. Sounds promising and I've heard of others who have had success using it! I'll keep you update on how it's going!

Until next time!
Sarah Marsh

No comments:

Post a Comment