Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Reflection and insight


As I was writing my final paper, a reflection on my internship work, I began reflecting on the entire experience. Quickly realising I have more experiences and expectations that were both met, exceeded, not met, and all benefit my future in various ways-- more than just through this internship experience. I am currently viewing this as writing two papers at once because as things come to mind, they are not all relative to my internship; as I have encountered a number of wonderful people who have had such large impacts on my life I cannot accurately thank for helping make this experience the greatest I could have ever asked for. 

There are tidbits of knowledge and insight I picked up from people who I consider now to be great friends. Each of them, whether they know it or not, helped me through various points in my summer- both high and low. I had a number of frustrations in the first few weeks as you can imagine anyone being in our conditions: 1. foreign country. 2. thrown into a new place with 18 strangers who are the only ones you know. 3. suddenly you have three flatmates. 4. you go to work. There is no time alone, no time to debrief your mind. I want to include various lines from people who have given me some of the greatest impact: 

“Why are you Americans so keen to get out of your parents house and rebel? Why don’t you enjoy the homemade food and carefree atmosphere for a few months before going somewhere alone. Gosh, what a waste of your time to move some where and be alone.” This was a conversation regarding my interest to move out when I come home and find life and experiences in other places. Don’t think I got off that easy though.. I’m still considering it! 

“You are a wonderful person, you deserve to have the best person next to you, supporting and trusting you. Don’t settle for less than you deserve. What kind of a relationship is that?” Enough said. Bravo. This deserves a standing ovation. Seriously. I’m going to keep this statement in my back pocket for a while.. 

“You have free time. Do something with it.” If I had only listened to this piece of advice.. there are a few too many days where I know I should have gotten out of bed sooner, or ready for the day earlier and did not go and chase down what I wanted to do for the day. Hence the reason why I’m already making a list of what to do the next time I’m in London. (Which, cross your fingers, I want to happen as quickly as possible!)

All in all, I have thoroughly enjoyed every bit of being in London and traveling across Europe. I think it's going to take a couple more blog posts to get out experiences from last week in Wales. Not to mention the week I'm currently spending in Belgium. I could not be more pleased with all the opportunities I have been able to have, the people I have met, and the places I have gone. Ultimately, this summer has been the greatest of all time. I have learned numerous things and I cannot wait to come back for more. 

I know I’ve received loads more of advice and I have more reflections, but right now, I’m looking to get out of town with my cousins and head from Brussels to Ghent and Bruges! I promise there are pictures to come!! *As of this morning, I turned in the ending assignments to my advisor in Stevens Point... making me graduated and officially finished with my undergraduate degree!! What's next? Only time will tell. First? Ghent and Bruges, Amsterdam next, either Copenhagen or Berlin to follow and then back to London to return to Chicago.. only to get to Wisconsin and turn around for New York City and Washington, DC. My oh my. I have so much to tell you!! 

Cheers!
Sarah Marsh

No comments:

Post a Comment