Wednesday, August 1, 2012

My dear Cambridge!


Considering I purchased my tickets last minute and on a whim, I must say I am quite pleased with the price of traveling to Cambridge (approximately £30). While accessing information from the Day Trips from London book I received from my Aunt and Uncle, I decided I only have most of this day left for London and my professor already told me not to come to class to be better prepared for going to Wales. I was free all day. What else was I supposed to do? I booked it. 



Between the suggested locations to visit and see from the book and the verbal suggestions and advice from my friend, Heidi, punting as the only item on my To-Do-In-Cambridge list. I arrived shortly after 10am on the train and walked into town (about a 25 minute walk). I spent majority of my time going in and out of shops, and walking leisurely through the market square. When I looked at my watch and realized it was 11:30am and I wanted to get to the river and go punting!  

I managed to get to the river quickly and take the suggested punting guided tour from, Scuddamores the book my family gave me. And I was almost too late! The tour I was put with left at 11:40, and was a forty-five minute tour. Do the math.. That puts me to 12:25pm. My train leaves at 1:04pm, and it is a twenty-five minute walk back to the station. YIKES! As it turned out I spent a little too long at the market and just made it with enough time to get back to the train station. With all this worrying about time and being so enthralled with Cambridge and the universities surrounding the river- I literally forgot to eat! It wasn’t until I jumped onto the bus as the doors were closing to leave that I realized I had not eaten anything since the fruit I had on the way to the train station to leave London! 


Cambridge Sports Long Sleeve T-Shirt
The punting was everything I needed: relaxing, informative, interesting, and all done with an attractive young bloke as our chauffeur, Stephen. He shared loads of information about each of the universities we were passing and it made me miss being a tour guide for University of Wisconsin - Stevens Point! It has also made me consider a bit more seriously, masters programs. So many of these universities cater to various programs and it would be a rather interesting time heading back to England for more schooling. Let's get through summer travels and job applications though! First things first!!

For such an eventful day, I made sure to pick up food on my way from the train station in London to our flat. I had already packed everything for Wales, and folded everything left in my closet to prepare for the combination of Belgium, moving out, and moving back to the states. Most of this afternoon I spent packing my luggage, and gong through everything to see what I would need, what I could get rid of, what I could donate, and what I could pack in appropriately to my luggage. As it stands now, my areas of the room are bare: my mostly-packed luggage is sitting on my bed, the clothes I will exchange to take to Belgium for dirty things from Wales, and what I plan on wearing between trips and for the flight back to the states. It is quite nifty. I did not think I could be so efficient in packing a week- and two weeks ahead!  

As for a beer list update, not much has changed since the last time I included it. I stopped being entirely adventurous. Once I found a couple sweet ciders, I stuck to them! Besides, it has kind of turned into an assorted alcoholic drink list, instead of just a beer list. 
Beers in London: 
  • Peroni (Marlborough Arms)
  • DoomBar (Golden Lion)
  • Aspall Cider (Pizza Express)
  • Erdinger (ISH)
  • Strongbow (ISH)
  • Queen's Jubilee (The Albany)
  • Tuborg (ISH)
  • Kronenbourg (ISH)
  • Carlsberg (ISH)
  • Banana beer (Salsa Club/Dalston)
  • Beck (Jager)
  • John Smith's (Walkabout)
  • Grolsh (ISH)
  • Bombardier (The Globe) 
  • Caledonia (The Church, Dublin)
  • Jameson and Ginger Ale (Jameson Distillery, Dublin) 
  • Hoegaarden (The Living Room, Dublin)
  • Bulmers (The Living Room, Dublin) 
  • Guinness (The Guinness Factory, Dublin) 
  • Leffe (Paris, France)
  • Cider (Paris, France)
  • Kopparburg (ISH)
  • PIMS (ISH, The Globe)
  • Bragdy Mws piws - Purple Moos Brewery (Bell Vue, Bangor)
  • Magners (Bell Vue, Bangor)
Cheers! Next you will hear more from Bangor! 
Sarah Marsh

No comments:

Post a Comment