Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Belgium!


I spent the week in Brussels with my cousin, Scott, his (pregnant) wife, Ana, and a friend of theirs from Romania, Ana. Yes this can be confusing. 

TWO SAINTS CATHEDRAL
GRAND PALACE
I took an afternoon and wandered central Brussels by myself and I didn’t want to look too much like a tourist, so I walked until I recognised something from the guide book I had. Then I pulled out the map to see where I ended up. I got through a few different well-known locations before I crossed a street and turned a corner and found I did not want to be where I was! Oops.. I pulled out the map and started heading back to the direction I wanted to begin with: Belgium’s Musical Instrument Museum. I have heard a lot about the MIM in Phoenix (and have even applied for a thing or two out there), and thought maybe it would be helpful to share an international experience by touring it in Belgium. Unfortunately, as I was forewarned by Scott and Ana most places close early, if not by 6pm. This was a case of a 4:30pm closing time, and it was 4:35 when I walked in. Another day perhaps. Instead I continued to meander through the gardens and take pictures of various locations.  
THE SQUARE
MANNEKEN PIS













SCOTT, ANA & I
Scott was able to take two days off from work and we spent one day going to Ghent. The other day we spent at the Atomium. Ghent was the rainiest day I had experienced since London! I also had an unfortunate happenstance; my shoes literally fell apart as I was walking. Something I’ll take back and get some money back on or new ones from, that would be nice. Otherwise, Ghent was splendid. The architecture was amazing and the shopping, it was alright too! ;)

SCOTT & ANA
SCOTT & I














Dopp Veneto Soft-Sided Multi-Zip Leather Travel Kit (Google Affiliate Ad)
On Saturday, we drove up to Holland and back. We were able to enter and exit with no problems. Especially considering we entered a military base first, before going to Amsterdam. In Amsterdam, we headed straight for Anne Frank’s house, but the queue was much to long and we were way to hungry. At the suggestion and strong interest of Ana (and come on, who says no to an eight-month-pregnant woman?), I had to go back on my word and eat at an American fast food restaurant- it’s my first one all summer: Subway. They were out of ranch, which when they substituted it with garlic, it certainly made my chicken, bacon & ranch sandwich odd.. After lunch we headed across some of the canals and looked at getting a tour, too much for how late it was in the day and so instead we took loads of photos and wandered for a while. 
LOVE THE CANALS
Before heading back to the car, we stopped one more time at Anne Frank’s, and the queue was significantly more tolerable. We waited it out and took the tour. I was under the impression that we would see her documents and writings, drawings and parts of the building they hid in. I did not expect to actually go INTO the annex, her room, the kitchen, the other bedrooms, up the stairs etc. It was a moving experience. I recommend it to anyone and everyone. Go. Please. Give yourself the opportunity to participate in the darkness and difficulties that Anne Frank and her family went through. The entire experience was truly, amazing. 

QUOTE ON THE COVERED
WINDOW IN ANNE'S
BEDROOM.
ANNE FRANK'S
ROOM, WITH ORIGINAL
PICTURES/POSTCARDS
ON DISPLAY.

With the rest of my time in Belgium, I was able to experience learning a little Romanian- don’t ask me for any words. I recognise what I know by others saying it. :) And AMAZINGLY DELICIOUS Romanian home-cooked foods. Ana says she can't cook well, and her 'well' would be my proficient, if I could make anything from a box that didn't go wrong!! I spent loads of time relaxing, this made it easy to finish my final reflection paper, apply for a couple jobs and catch up on much needed sleep. If you're looking for more photographs from my week in Belgium, head to Facebook for the complete album! 

Cheers!
Sarah Marsh

No comments:

Post a Comment