Tuesday, August 28, 2012

East Coast Adventures

Of course. I land in the States, stay at home less than 24 hours and promptly leave for yet another trip! This time.. New York and Washington, D.C. I took a flight out of Milwaukee and headed to the NY La Guardia air port. I had my first solo taxi ride experience and was freaking out the whole way..

New York Gold Designs 14K Gold Wheat Diamond-Cut Hoop Earrings (Google Affiliate Ad)
When I arrived at my friend's apartment, I was quickly offered the American amenities: beer, cheese, olives and pesto. Okay, so not quite American amenities- but a food offering to say the least! Jessica and I were up until close to 3am catching up and telling stories of New York and London (Jessica's two favorite cities).

First thing the next morning, Jessica took me to her favorite bagel place and we people watched for a while. The bagel was delicious and the fresh fruit was amazing. Then she took me to see Time Square. And man. There is nothing like it in the world. Nothing. I kind of stood there and gawked for a while, took a few pictures and tried my best to take it in. Since it had started to rain and Jessica needed a different shirt for our opening night-after party later that night, we headed to the Forever 21 on the Square. Naturally we HAD to stop next door and visit the Disney Store. We each wanted to buy everything in sight. I walked around holding Buzz and Woody for a while.. unfortunately I didn't buy either one of them. There will be a time and place for the stuffed toys to come into my possession!!

Since it was getting close to lunch time and we had plans with my cousin, Lia, we started headed through the subway (I keep wanting to call it the tube) to our destination: El Museo de Barrio. Lia treated Jessica and me to the best burritos I've ever eaten and took us for a brief walk through of the north east end of Central Park. It was a great time eating lunch and catching up with my cousin, especially considering we couldn't exactly pinpoint the last time we had seen each other.. 7 or more years ago. Tooooo long.

After lunch, Jessica and I had plans for Serendipity (known from an array of movies including One Fine Day and Serendipity). We went and reserved a table for 45 minutes later and then headed to Dylan's Candy Bar. Dylan is the daughter of Ralph Lauren, and opened this glorious candy shop. If you can imagine it, it is there. If you miss tremendously wonderful candies from your childhood, they are there. When our table became available at Serendipity, we headed over and then had a heck of a time trying to figure out what to order. Once we settled on it, we took in the scene and anxiously waited for the glorious desserts to arrive. The desserts were almost too painful to finish. I couldn't fit in another bite; it was so rich and so delicious. The desserts ended up being our dinner too!

Jessica is working with a theatre group in New York. The show they've been working on all summer had it's opening night on Tuesday and at the very last minute she was able to locate a ticket for me! I attended Harrison, TX; there were three short acts and it was funny, sad and inspiring. After the show finished, we headed to another venue for the opening night after party!! What a blast! We were able to mingle with a number of the show's directors, producers and actors! Jessica was used to it, since these were her work people, but I thought it was a great time!

After the party ended, we headed to Time Square. Jessica insisted that I needed to see it when it was all lit up! We picked up some late night food and headed back to the Disney Store to hang out on the second floor-- we had completely missed it before!!

The next day we slept in and picked up an early lunch at the Amsterdam Ale House-- super good. I had my first burger since being back in the states. Tasty! After lunch we headed to Whole Foods to pick up a couple things for our friend I'd be seeing in Washington, D.C. later! Some snacks included vegan cookies, gelato and organic licorice sticks! I enjoyed the gelato well into my train ride to DC! :) I took the train from Penn Station and stopped in Philadelphia, PA; Trenton, NJ; Newark, DE; and finally in Washington!

When I arrived at my friend Tori's house, dinner was underway! Pancakes for dinner! She also had a few friends from high school over to hang out and catch up. It was such a great time getting to know them over the next few days!

Tori and I started off with a lazy day on Thursday. When her sister came back from working on her horse at the barn, we had an afternoon of nails while watching Marley and Me. Talk about a relaxing
lazy day!! After dinner, Tori and her sister, Emily, and I  headed down to Old Town Alexandria for some ice cream and Pops and a friends hang out by the pier!!

On Friday, we slept in again and spent more time being lazy around the house. In the afternoon, I headed to the Holocaust Museum while Tori took a bus to Philadelphia. After I finished with the museum, I walked through the Washington Monument, World War II monument and stopped at a couple other small monuments on my way to the Lincoln Memorial.


When I finished with memorials and monuments, I took the metro to meet Tori's parents for dinner back in Old Town Alexandria. Thai food!! YUMMMMMMY! I ate way too much and was stuffed for the remainder of the night. They persuaded me into some Ben and Jerry's, but that was absolutely enough!! I was done for the night. Ofta. When we headed back to their house, I called it an early night and headed to bed.





On Saturday, Tori's parents took me to the airport for my flight home. I had a bit of a struggle getting through security, but by the time I made a rest stop before arriving at my gate, my gate was boarding and I was one of the last people to get on the plane! I hadn't looked at the time, but I was within 20 minutes of our flight time!! Yikes! Unfortunately, I was in the last row, in the 'window' seat. Which actually means "I hope you're not claustrophobic because you have no window". Boooooo.

Once I made it into Milwaukee, I headed home with my mom. And in typical me fashion.. I changed and headed out to dinner with some of my girl friends for an evening of debauchery and mischievousness. Also known as what we do best. <3

More to come!
Sarah Marsh

No comments:

Post a Comment