Wednesday, August 1, 2012

More Traveling?


You might be thinking, “you must be crazy.” Nope, I just received a bite from the travel bug. Sorry about it (not sorry)! Time to fill you in on my upcoming travels!! The next few weeks will prove to be fun filled, exhausting, and NON STOP! I hope not to make you dizzy or confused as I go on with dates and locations, but I will try to be as simple as possible. Here we go:

Monday, 30 July: Day trip to Cambridge, England
     This day trip was a highly suggested trip from my good friend, Heidi. Heidi participated in this summer London internship program last summer. While I was preparing to come abroad, I  drilled her with questions of what to do, what to bring, what do I do when.., etc., etc., etc. Her biggest push of something to do was to GO TO CAMBRIDGE- and go punting. I was also given a book from my Aunt Sally and Uncle John of wonderful day trips you could take to suggested locations with information on how to book whichever form of transport you choose, tours or self-catered, and great advice on what else to do in those locations. I was able to utilize this book in my planning, and it came complete with a map! More on this next blog! 
Monday, 30 July: Evening train to Bangor, Wales
     This week long trip is coming as part of the Contemporary Music for All (CoMA) Summer School and Festival. CoMA is where I have been interning since July. I am able to attend the summer school to take part in any work the organisation needs, AND our founder, Chris, found me a trombone to play! I will also be able to participate in two performing ensembles playing during the week. I am quite excited!! The anticipation is killing me... (I am on my way there now by train. Only a couple more hours!)
Saturday, 4 August: Afternoon train to London, England
     This concludes the CoMA Summer School and Festival. I will head back to London to do a number of things: celebrate with a massive going away party because 16 or our 19 participants will be leaving Europe for America on Sunday, I will be unpacking from Wales into my luggage for America, packing what is left into a bag for Belgium, checking out of the International Student House and taking a train to Belgium! 
Sunday, 5 August: Evening train to Brussels, Belgium 
     Taking a train to Brussels to see my cousin and his wife. They were married last summer in Romania, and moved this summer to Belgium- not to mention they are expecting at the end of summer! During my week in Belgium, I am thinking a day trip back to Paris to do all the things my brother reamed me out for not doing (and because I want to do them anyway), and my cousin suggested taking a drive to Amsterdam. This week in Belgium might add a couple more countries to those I have already visited! What fun! 
Sunday, 12 August: Morning train to London, England
      Bright and early from Belgium to London.. then I will pick up my luggage and head to Heathrow. I expect to hear voiceovers from the wonderful and talented Hugh Grant as I have seen and heard in Love Actually. But I will not get my hopes up.. this is my direct flight back to the United States. This is such a bittersweet moment.. I love every little thing about living and working in London, and to go home after it all, I am not sure how to feel about it. Please try to understand me when I say this: I do not want to leave London-- I cannot wait to be home. Do you understand it? I am still trying to figure out what it means precisely... if you were able to translate it, please let me know!! 
Sunday, 12 August: Afternoon flight to Chicago, IL, USA
     I fly out of London at 3something in the afternoon, I land in Chicago at 6something. I wish it was a three hour flight. Concorde? Yes please. 
Sunday, 12 August: Evening drive to Fond du Lac, WI, USA
     Going home with mom and dad for the night, a long drive but I am sure I will just talk their ears off. Perhaps dinner at the Margarella’s? Or the Silo? <3 
Monday, 13 August: Late afternoon drive to Milwaukee, WI, USA 
     Have to get up and go sometime! Why not the very next day!! Nothing like readjusting to the time difference by going backwards six (for twelve hours) and ahead one more (for a a few days)? When the time is now.. you do it! 
Monday, 13 August: Evening flight to New York City, NY, USA 
     Initially this trip began as a joke about lobster. Seriously. Sitting in our flat in London about a month ago, two of my flatmates, Mona and Tori, were talking about what they were going to eat when they return to the states (Boston and DC, respectively). I said something about wanting lobster and crab (YUM). And Tori says something like, “Sarah, why don’t you come out and visit us before we leave for school again! Fly into DC and work your way up through Philadelphia, New York City and then end in Boston! It’ll be great!” And we all agreed it would be fun.. la, la, la. Until the next day, Tori reiterates the offer with, “Sarah, you know I was serious about what I said last night. You are more than welcome.” I told her I would think about it. And look where we are now. Turns out, with me staying an extra week in London, I will miss Mona in Boston, and Philly would be fun, but my main interest became NYC and DC. A friend of mine (originally a resident, now a great friend), is working a summer internship at Primary Stages. I will be staying with her for two nights, seeing her show on opening night, seeing a cousin and a few other friends! 
Wednesday, 15 August: Afternoon train to Washington D.C., USA 
     I will take the train to DC (perfect timing to compare European transport with American, eh?). While in DC, I will stay with Tori’s family and catch up being an American tourist! YAY! I would like to see the News Museum, Holocaust Museum, Smithsonian and Katie & Jimmy Melson (we hope)!!
Saturday, 18 August: Afternoon flight to Milwaukee, WI, USA 
     I was trying to get my dad to fly out and meet me to take the train back, but unfortunately that won’t be able to happen-- next time! But that’s alright. I enjoy flying or training! 
Saturday, 18 August: Late afternoon drive to Fond du Lac, WI, USA
     Driving home for the remainder of the weekend where I will probably be confined to my parents house, if not by choice, by force through straightjacket and padded room (for excessive traveling) by my mother. (I’m kidding).. But seriously. Her birthday is coming up the next week and there is this Jimmy Johns box of souvenirs I sent home last week with explicit instructions not to open until I am home-home, and it will probably be killing both my parents, and if not them? My cat. 

Was that easy to understand? Crazy, I know. And to think I was going to try and do more during the week I will be in Belgium, and the week between New York and DC. At least I had some sense kicked into me! 

Cheers!
Sarah Marsh

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness - you're doing it! :) I'm so excited for you - keep blogging so I can keep reading! :)

    ReplyDelete