Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Oyster, Mobile, and Waterlogged.

Here are things to know when you go to London:

1. When people say it rains, its overcast, its drizzly, etc. Believe them. It's not just something they say to keep people from visiting.
2. When you think it looks beautiful out, wear your rain jacket.
3. When you think it looks beautiful out, bring an umbrella.
4. Don't step into the street without looking both ways. Bikers, buses, vehicles, etc. You know what I mean.
5. Prior to stepping into the street, read the street paint. Look left when it says "Look Left", look right when it says "Look Right."
6. Bring a tube map with you anywhere. Or when you misplace yours, know that you can get a new one at any tube stop. Just remember to get a new one!
7. Hang out in cafes for wifi. :)
8. Find an Irishman to help you with the tube. They will also remind you that no Englishman will do this for you. Plus, they have the upper hand on the Irish accent.



The city has been very packed. Although we still managed to get around. The most frustrating thing at the moment, aside from the lack of wireless, is that Monday and Tuesday were bank holidays. Which means either places are not open or have holiday hours (that aren't posted). So we've been stuck with some Americanised restaurants when we wanted ethnic foods and I only expect things to get better from here on out. 

I picked up my Oyster Card and mobile Tuesday. This phone and card are too hilarious for words.  I helped two friends with getting around and figuring out the Tube. They got lost, I got us found. They let me lead the way to find their internships and tube stops. They told me they want to make me their personal APP. I haven't carried a map of anything in the city since I got here, besides the Tube map. I seem to be the only person on this trip who gets directions. 


As for the living situation. I'm living with Taylor, Mona, and Tori. Taylor and I picked up on hanging out really quick, it's been helpful to have her in the room and then there is always someone around to get food or go out for groceries. I'll put up pictures of the room later. We have a bunk bed, two down beds, two wardrobes, two desks, and a shelving unit. Our suite is connected to a small hallway where there are two other rooms with girls in them. We all share one bathroom and a kitchen space. Surprisingly, we have not had an issue with five to seven girls using the bathroom! Cannot believe it. 

I had my money exchanged at the airport. Since then, I have worked it out that I pay for meals for three of us and they pay me cash. It's easier than going to an ATM and getting charged. More efficient and sociable in a fun way. I also started a list of beers that I have had or tried, and I am also listing where I had them. Kind of another way to keep up with my experiences. So far this list reads as: 
  - Peroni (Marlborough Arms)
  - DoomBar (Golden Lion)
  - Aspall Cider (Pizza Express)
  - Erdinger (ISH)
  - Strongbow (ISH)
  - Queen's Jubilee (The Albany)

The Queen's Jubilee... There are not enough words. Being able to experience these events. Unfortunately I was not able to heavily participate outside of sitting in pubs and watching the events on BBC and tele networks. I picked up a scarf, quite cool looking. I have a picture somewhere. Need to take more. 

WET??? You have no idea. First, completely soaked my black wedges. Not to mention dyed my feet black. Then I wore my brown moccasins. Then it poured. Dyed my feet orange. Then I wore my zipper black flats. Then it poured and we walked EVERYWHERE. My pinky toes? Are entirely blisters. I ended up purchasing canvas slip-ons and three pairs of socks. I wore the canvas shoes for the remainder of the day. So yesterday I wore birkenstocks. SOAKED. I asked my mom to send heels, instead of her sending those I have instead requested my rain boots. I seriously don't know what to do with my shoes/feet with all this rain. Basically I've been soaked straight for days. So so so sad. 

Most students on our trip began their internships today. I do not start mine until Friday. In the meantime, I get to continue to play tourist and figure out town on my own. I do have an assignment to put together for the theatre and I have been working on that on and off. Saturday is the open day for auditions for the summer show and our first production team meeting. I am quite excited for this all to begin!! 

More updates to come-- I feel as though I'm only briefly touching the surface. If you want to know more up to the minute... or up to the WIFI minute news from me. Follow me on twitter! @MarshCooke 
Cheers!!
Sarah Marsh

1 comment:

  1. London sounds similar to Austria with the weather... it'll be nice in the morning and pouring rain in the afternoon! Ridiculous. So far it sounds like you're having a great time aside from all the rain. I wish I actually had time during my layover at Heathrow to visit you. :( Take lots of pictures and post whenever you can!!

    ReplyDelete