Thursday, June 28, 2012

Meantime... take three!!

I left off after Sunday night.. man do I have a ways to go! And the pressure is on, considering I was supposed to be asleep three hours ago! We're getting up to leave for Dublin around 4am sometime. Oh goodness... Laundry is done. Packing is done. Now to finish this blog and my assignment!


Monday: The current trend is to sleep in and in and in until about eleven and then everyone quick jumps out of bed, jumps into the showers and haphazardly makes it over to ISH, the main student housing building, for lunch and then meanders their way over to class. This week we changed classrooms and finished up with a walk to King's College, Trafalgar's Square, and Westminster (I have a few pictures from within King's College. One of Taylor, one panoramic, and one from the staircase with no supports). With the final story about Abraham Lincoln and how his death changed newspaper headlines for ever, we went our separate ways for dinner. Adrian, Taylor and I had plans to rush a show (crossing our fingers oh-so-desparately for Les Miserables), and when the show we wanted wasn't available, we splurged a little and got some decent tickets for next week's showing of Les Miserables. Be jealous. We wandered through Leicester Square and found a little place for some delicious food. I've found I do actually enjoy chips, commonly known in the USA as fries, but only with a little mayo and ketchup mixture. Weird, I know. But apparently that is how they do it here! After relishing in the success of our purchase, we found our way to a little gelato place called Scoops and boy did that do us in. Adrian and I got a large (three flavors) and Taylor got a medium (two flavors). I already know what I'm getting next time. Oh how delicious it will be. We went on our way back to the ISH Bar and spent sometime there. I skyped with MARGO (shout out to her for our Skype date), and Adrian's (second?) cousin got a hold of him and asked if he and his friends were interested in Olympic tickets.. UM. YES PLEASE! After narrowing it down to three sports: futbol, volleyball, and gymnastics, we found out dates, prices, and who we would see. The final decision? Volleyball. July 28th. We will be there, and boy will it be fantastic. The next hour or so we spent parading the news around to everyone, sorry if we rubbed it in too much. We were just REALLY excited.










On Tuesday, I woke up with a much worse sore throat and coughing and running nose than had been over the last few days. I also awoke to find one of my roommates in a similar condition. We decided to take it slow and get out in the sunshine, yet not over do it. We went to work at Starbucks. The only guaranteed coffee house in the city that does NOT cut off your wifi time. I think they know us by now, considering it is now Thursday and I have been there everyday since Tuesday. Whats up Starbucks? Tori did some work on her play and I went to town on emails for work! I thought I could do everything in two emails. Turns out, Yahoo! told me I was wrong. I had my email account locked from sending, and for a while I could only receive emails. Talk about problems. I had to contact Yahoo! Customer Service and convince them I wasn't sending spam to all these school emails, but in fact I was trying my hardest to contact them! Once I had my account unlocked, it took me roughly fifteen emails to complete to all the recipients needed. Talk about exhausting. It was during this afternoon that I also found out my placement for my internship is changing. Starting next week, I will be working at Contemporary Music for All (CoMA). More news on this when I find out.


I also went back to ISH, despite me need for sleep and health, to wish a new friend (Tomasz) good bye. He needs to go back to Poland for a few weeks to work out some kinks with work. Hopefully he will be back in a couple weeks and we can have a welcome back party, not so enthusiastic as his sending off.. After Tomasz' insisting that he won't drink because he needs to finish packing and get up at 3am to be checked out of his room (the Community Advisor in me shutters to think why this is politically correct) and that he must get some sleep or he will not wake up, Zlatko (Macedonian friend) managed to get him to drink a couple and then suggested we not let Tomasz sleep, but instead take him to Trafalgar's Square when the bar closes! Crazy, crazy Zlatko.. we took him up on his suggestion. Here are a few pictures as proof (for the record, Zlatko did not come with us!). The first two pictures are of Trafalgar's Square as everyone knows it to be... and the others are us being silly: everyone on the lion, except for Tomasz (Steph, Barbara, myself and Nash), a few of us posing (Nash -from Pakistan, Steph -from Ecuador, Barbara -from Portugal and myself), and Barbara, Tomasz and me.. trust me it is the only decent picture he would 'take'!!

Good bye for now Tomasz! 







As for Wednesday, it is safe to assume my feeling tired.. I woke up and decided I needed to work from home to ease into the day. I eventually went over to ISH for lunch, and then headed over to the British Library. I worked for a while and then used FaceTime for the first time to see my brother, Morgan!! It had been so long since we last talked, and it was great to see him again. I felt very useful going around the house with him while he was conquering his to-do list! :) I was even able to see all the animals in the house! Talk about a fun time!!! After our FaceTime chat, I headed down to the Exhibition room where a number of original manuscripts and documents from all across history. I was able to see original manuscripts for Shakespeare, Chaucer, and Dickens- to name a few! The original manuscripts that took my breath away, however, was not text. It was the music. The music manuscripts were fantastic to see.. Mozart, Hayden, Handel, and Ravel. Pages and pages of original music. Their handwriting. It was fantastic. I could have stayed around for hours just to stare. I managed to take a single picture, although it was frowned upon. But I HAD to share just a piece of this with the world...
You cannot quite tell because of my unsteady iPod-camera hand, but this is
in fact the original manuscript of Handel's Messiah. 
After I finished drooling over the music manuscripts, I went back to adore the original of Charles Lutwidge Dodgson's Alice in the Underground (otherwise known as Alice in Wonderland, by Lewis Carroll). I picked up a wonderful poster that is an entire page of the original manuscript, with Carroll's original drawings. I cannot wait to get it framed and hang it. A little fact to why this means a little something extra is... we're related. :D


As for today, I finished up emails to a number of schools on behalf of ShadowStage, working again from Starbucks. Today was exceptionally beautiful out!! It was supposed to rain and storm all afternoon, and we haven't had a drop yet (knock on wood). Instead, it was 81 degrees F. We could not believe what we stepped into outside! HEAT WAVE! Looks like it isn't just hitting the states! After I finished work, I headed over to Liverpool Station to meet Taylor. We went to purchase our train tickets to get us to our flight out of Stansted. After purchasing our tickets, we went to meet up with Adrian and Jessica to enjoy some delicious ethnic food. I'm slowly becoming partial to falafel's. Talk about yummy. :) We were talking tonight about what we miss most from home. We decided the cooking was it.. and Jimmy Johns. But for the most part, we forget that we're actually in London. It's quite bizarre. After dinner, my to-do list included: watching Germany v Italy, laundry, packing, check-in for plane tickets, blog/journal and sleep. Guess what I did? Laundry, packing, checking-in, and blog. I now have four hours to sleep, and I still need to write my journal. For now, I leave you with this...


The promise of a phenomenally long and picture-filled blog and VLOG about Dublin and how spectacular our weekend was. I look forward to putting it together for you-- probably with the help/assistance and co-workings of Taylor... I cannot wait! Happy -early- fourth of July!!

See you on the green side! <3
Cheers!
Sarah Marsh

*The offer still stands, email me (marshcooke1@gmail.com or s.cooke2488@yahoo.com) your address and I will send you a postcard.. for those who requested one during the last blog post, they went in the mail a few days ago!! ;) Enjoy!
*If you'd like to follow me at more up-to-the-minute events, follow me on Twitter! @marshcooke

No comments:

Post a Comment